Blogging over time /-/ Mini challah on the grill

30g honey
6g salt
2 egg yolks lightly beaten

1 egg lightly beaten
60ml olive oil
450g bread flour flour

For the egg wash and topping

1 egg yolk stirred with a bit of water

2 to 3 tablespoons poppy seeds

Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water in a large bowl and allow it to dissolve. Mix in the honey, salt, eggs, and olive oil.

Tip you flour in to you bowl and knead until it forms a rough ball

Knead the dough, I added about 50g of extra flour during this process. When the dough is smooth and elastic, place it in an oiled bowl, cover it with a towel, and set it aside to rise in a warm place

Dust a heavy cast iron pan with cornmeal, place the dough in the pan, and allow it to rise again until doubled (about 25 minutes). Preheat the barbecue on high with two side-by-side fire bricks on the grill.

After the final rise, brush the top of the loaf generously with egg wash and sprinkle it with poppy seeds.

Place your pan son top of the preheated fire bricks in the barbecue, and close the lid. Set the heat to “medium” and bake for 15-20 minutes (tested it with temperature method).

Remove the pan from the barbecue and let cool completely before slicing.

'Blogging over time /-/ Mini challah on the grill' have 6 comments

1. August 19, 2013 @ 5:33 pm Laura (Tutti Dolci)

This is the cutest challah ever, love the mini size!

• August 20, 2013 @ 4:26 pm Belinda Lo

Thanks laura. I am glad my poor braiding skills did not offend. I love minis, just enough for two or one hungry girl!

2. August 21, 2013 @ 6:33 pm ducksandbooks

How did you braid the sticky dough? Mine came out looking more blob-like. Maybe I needed to add more flour?

• August 22, 2013 @ 12:38 am Belinda Lo

I would try flour but I often oil my hands well.A lso dough that is chillied is easier to work with; place it in the fridge for 30 minutes . I hope this helps!

3. August 29, 2013 @ 6:55 pm Irina @ wandercrush

Belinda, thus struck home with me… I actually read your post at just the right time, after staying up all night to put up a new post. Uni is starting again, so I’m imagining the amount of time I have for the blog is going to decrease significantly. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth it, but then I remember why I do it in the first place—because I love to! As a relatively new blogger (barely half a year) to the scene, it’s easy to become overwhelmed but I feel like there’s a very supportive network. I for one adore your posts and fully recognise how much effort has gone into every recipe and photo! It’s all beautiful and appreciated, so don’t doubt it for a second.
    I love this one in particular, because I saw it on food52 and bookmarked it instantly…yet haven’t gotten around to making it. Thanks for the inspiration; yours is flawless!

• August 31, 2013 @ 2:50 pm Belinda Lo

I am so stoke it spoke to you! I am always thinking i am not good enough but I am sure one day I might get the confidence from my food blog. I hope you go well at uni too!
      Thank you for in-depth comment Irina!

Would you like to share your thoughts?

Your email address will not be published.