A little Crush /-/ “Party of five” Chocolate Crackle Bark

I can not be alone. I am a love fool.

Choc crackle bark (5 of 1)
image-777

Call me dramatic ( I am). Call me O.T.T.O ( Always). However this does not concern my relationship status; Can you guess what I fall for?

For anyone that cooks, bakes, reads or writes food blogs; one of the fundamental skills obtained in your early years the ability to research effectively. I do not mean careless typing  the keywords in to Google and clicking the never-ending list of pages to find something to bookmark. Unlike my other strict mantras when it comes to cooking measurements and de-cluttering, I am always falling for a new things I find in my food research. It can be a cake, a design, a  pastry technique or even an ingredient.  My lack of self-control makes me become obsessed with trying to nail the original and then find a way to put my spin on it to post here ( if it turns out)

Choc crackle bark (4 of 1)
image-778

Over the years I have fallen in and out of love with many recipes but the one thing that is long-lasting in my food relationship is my crush on bakers, cooks and food writers/bloggers. With a recipe book collection that spans from basics to specialty arts and a RSS list longer than the weekly shopping list, it is safe to say I am notorious love fool. The one thing about following types of cooks and bakers is the change in their techniques they use unlike recipes which remain static. You will see them venture into the new territory by first exploring  a new ingredient or use old ingredient use in a different way. The ratios of salt, sugar and spices alter over the years noting their maturing plate and openness to change. For example the idea of putting coarse salt into the chocolate or caramel was only a recent change.

Choc crackle bark (12 of 1)
image-779

Choc crackle bark (13 of 1)-2
image-780

It is hard to Imagine sweet with out some salt now isn’t it? All this is because us, amateurs bakers, are some level of love fool. We try recipes of cooks that we love, alter them further for our taste and if you are food blogger you tell people about it. Also the accompanying food photography that comes with it makes it even more romantic and desirable. Like the old saying we eat with our eyes, first 😉

Always a recipe that accompanies chocolate is always a favorite at my place. I recently wanted to venture more into chocolate making and shaping after having my first successful chocolate box and filled with little petite fours.  Combine this with the trend to “home make” sweets such as  marshmallows and you have he recipes I am now “flirting” with to get right. You guys in the northern hemisphere are so lucky to have an abundance of inspiration on the candy bars selves. We do not get Sourdough and salted chocolate here. I am busting to try yo home make this but in the mean time I have made this chocolate twice  before posting this because I was addicted to eating it.

Choc crackle bark (7 of 1)
image-781

A fancier version of those untempered chocolate barks but 100% loaded with good stuff. I call this “party of five” Chocolate bark because all the ingredients you need have easy substitutes but the one thing you need to know is the category these ingredients belong to.

First is chocolate: Dark, bitter-sweet, milk or white.  You just have to make sure you know the tempering temperatures for each of these chocolates as the white and dark range dramatically due to the ratio of cocoa to fat content. I listed a few below that you can use.

Choc crackle bark (1 of 1)
image-782

TheKitchn’s guide to non-thermometer chocolate tempering.

Food 52’s Guide to thermometer chocolate tempering.

or Izy from Top with Cinnamon has way to do it with a food processor

The Essential Ingredient’s Guide to tempering for Celsius readings.

After the mix in all start with “C”. You need Cereal, Crackers, Cones, Cashews and Caramels.

Choc crackle bark (2 of 1)
image-783

For the cereal I used Wheat puffs; Crackers are standard Cheese crackers; Cones are the Faux waffle cones ( often served to kids or with soft serve); Caramels are soft centered; and Cashews are salted roasted Cashews. I know the last one is a nut but go with it 🙂

Choc crackle bark (3 of 1)
image-784

I am sure you can replace the ingredients with anything you want. So a version can be dark chocolate with puffed rice, Ritz crackers, chocolate ice cream cones, crushed hard caramel and roasted peanuts. For a more adult plate try the idea of adding caramelised panako, waffle cones, puffed quinoa and mix of toasted black/ white sesame seeds to very dark chocolate.

Choc crackle bark (8 of 1)
image-785

Whatever you decide to do this is the easiest recipe you will find on here for an instant party starter and great hostess gift. Many happy adventures bark markers! I would love to hear what you put into bark too; I am always looking for something new to crush on.

Note: Like I said change it to your taste but I am listing what I used here as this was the one I made when I took the images. All you need is chocolate, cereal, crackers, caramels, ice cream cones and a nut or seed ( roasted preferred)

Choc crackle bark (13 of 1)
image-786

“Party of five” Chocolate Crackle Bark

Makes 30 by 27 cm tray

700g milk chocolate (Note above)

100g Savory cheese crackers, crushed

5 faux waffle cones, crushed

40g-60g puffed wheat

100g salted roasted cashews

10 crushed soft centered caramels

MAKING BARK

Line a tray with baking paper.

Temper chocolate according to guide above. For milk chocolate it need to be heated to 45C then dropped to 27 C then heat back to 30-31C. I did the seeding technique but any of the ones above are good (tried all of them).

In another large bowl combine your mix ins and mix well.

Once chocolate is tempered, mix in all your ingredients to coat them well in the chocolate. Next put your chocolate mix into the prepared tray. Using a spatula spread it well and leave to cool till hardened.

Using a knife or your hand break up bark to your liking.

Choc crackle bark (9 of 1)
image-787

'A little Crush /-/ “Party of five” Chocolate Crackle Bark' have 27 comments

1. January 13, 2015 @ 9:58 pm Cheryl

I LOVE this homage to food bloggers and bakers.. I feel the same! I think we all sort of fall for one another’s perspective and creativity and ingenuity and does it not fascinate you that you might make something I LOVE but then the next recipe you make is something I’d never eat?! I mean, I might eat it if it’s there, but I would never make it myself. How amazing is that that we are both so similar and so different, each one of us? Ahh.. that being said, this is definitely one of those recipes I would make 🙂 It’s like everything good in the world..!

• January 13, 2015 @ 10:37 pm themoonblushbaker

Oh You hit the nail on the head! All people who love food, whether savory or sweet can take someone from each other. Wonderful isn’t it?
      Cheryl this recipe is dead simple, I really hope you try it 🙂 Thank you for commenting.

• January 23, 2015 @ 3:20 am Amymak

This looks fantastic – and I like simple! Will try. Thanks for the recipe – and beautiful photography!

2. January 13, 2015 @ 10:37 pm Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar

Mmm mmm total crack right here! This looks awesome!

3. January 14, 2015 @ 4:30 am Thalia @ butter and brioche

Loved reading this post Belinda! And what an incredible recipe too… this choc crackle bark just looks so wickedly delicious, i definitely have to make the recipe!

• January 14, 2015 @ 12:51 pm themoonblushbaker

Thank you Thalia! If you make it send me a Picture, I love to see your photography :3

4. January 14, 2015 @ 5:00 am Adrienne

I love everything about this, especially the name. Awesome homage to food bloggers and the 90’s.

• January 14, 2015 @ 12:54 pm themoonblushbaker

Ye The name was something I come up with late at night while midnight snacking, I am glad you liked it so much. You know the show “Party of five” too???? Yes one of those golden era shows.

Thanks for your lovely comment!

5. January 14, 2015 @ 8:03 am Beau

I just discovered your site and I’m in love! You have incredible talent, both in the kitchen and behind the camera. I’ll be linking to your site on my blog under “blogs I follow”!

• January 14, 2015 @ 12:52 pm themoonblushbaker

Thank for discovering me Beau! You comment has made my heart beat with joy, I always love to have new food friends on the Internet.

6. January 14, 2015 @ 7:46 pm stephanie

the cheese crackers in there sound AMAZING!! but wait, the whole thing sounds amazing. and um caramelized panko? sounds like it would be an awesome stand in for feuilletine…UGH i love feuilletine but it’s so time consuming to make!

• January 14, 2015 @ 8:44 pm themoonblushbaker

I DO not want to think about the time it takes to make Feuilletine. Well for me I toss panako with a small amount of icing sugar and vodka (like 3 drops), place it in a pan over low heat and constantly stir until it develops a brownish hue. Simply addictive :3 for a snack.

Thanks Stephanie!

7. January 16, 2015 @ 5:39 pm Friday Finds 1.16.15 · i am a food blog i am a food blog

[…] 2. Perfect for warming up! 3. I love rice gratin! 4. Give me ALL the cheez-its! 5. Homemade chocolate crackle bark is right up my alley. 6. Ohmygosh these kimchi […]

8. January 16, 2015 @ 10:00 pm Adrienne K

i love the options here! I have seen a white chocolate bark that has rice crispies and crushed peppermint. The combinations are endless!

• January 16, 2015 @ 10:14 pm themoonblushbaker

Thank you Adrienne. White choc, rice crispies and pepper mint sound delicious!

9. January 16, 2015 @ 11:25 pm cynthia

OMG this is BEYOND spectacular, Belinda!!!!!! Soo so beautiful and I love. LOVe that you put Ritz crackers in there! Perfection.

• January 16, 2015 @ 11:29 pm themoonblushbaker

High five for crackers right? 🙂 I can only imagine how good these would be with other savoury biscuits….

Thank you Cynthia for your kind words!

10. January 18, 2015 @ 11:34 am Medha @ Whisk & Shout

Oh my god I love salty sweet and this looks great! Pinned 🙂

11. January 19, 2015 @ 8:20 am Jerrelle | Chocolate For Basil

This looks insanely delicious! Waffle cones?? Craziness! I love it!

12. January 22, 2015 @ 12:22 am saltandserenity

I love the name of your blog! Consider me a new fan and subscriber.
    This recipe has my mind reeling with the possibilities. I make marble matzoh crunch at Passover and I am very excited to do a riff on your idea with matzoh standing in for the crackers. Will let you know how it turns out!

• January 22, 2015 @ 5:18 pm themoonblushbaker

Gosh It looks so delightful!! I got to try it now! Thank you so much love 🙂

13. January 26, 2015 @ 4:57 am Hakima

Your blog is very amazing , i love chocolat so i love your recipe! Bravo!

14. February 7, 2015 @ 9:28 pm Fifty Shades of Chocolate | The Cookbook Diva

[…] Kitchen – Irresistible Oatmeal Chocolate Cookies 27) The Moonblush Baker – Chocolate Crackle Bark 28) Steamy Kitchen – Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Cookie Recipe 29) Life On Food – Macaroon […]

Would you like to share your thoughts?

Your email address will not be published.